Rugby World Cup 2019: Guidance and tips for fans travelling for the Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan.

Sept. 21, 2018

Many fans will be travelling to Japan to watch the tournament. Here are some tips to help make your visit safe and enjoyable.

Before you go

Below is information to help you plan your visit to Japan. Follow the FCO's travel advice and sign up to their social media channels for updates.

Facebook: UKinJapan
Twitter: @UKinJapan

Staying and travelling in Japan

There will be an increased demand for flights, trains and hotels during the tournament. Plan ahead and book as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Check the official tournament website and useful information from the Japan National Tourism Organisation.

If you plan to hire a vehicle during your stay, check the Japan Automobile Association website for information on driving licence requirements and road safety rules in Japan.


Ticketing information can be found on the official Rugby World Cup Website.

Local laws and customs

“Travel global, think local”



  • Be responsible and respectful

  • Tattoos have a historical association with organised crime in Japan. You may be refused entry to hot springs, gyms or swimming pools if you have one

  • There is a zero tolerance towards all drugs including recreational drugs such as marijuana. Penalties for possession, use and trafficking of illegal drugs can result in long jail sentences and heavy fines. For further information, please refer to our Travel Advice page

  • Most Japanese people are very friendly and welcoming but can be reserved. Loud, boisterous behaviour in public is not the norm in Japan

  • Public displays of affection are less common than in the UK

  • Tipping is not customary

Passport/Carrying Identification

Make sure you carry your passport at all times during your trip to Japan. It is a legal requirement and local police may ask to check your identification. Your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay.

British tourists can enter Japan visa free for up to 90 days. If you plan to travel to other countries in Asia during your trip, be sure to check the passport validity requirements visa requirements of each country.


Japan is a cash-based society and overseas cards may not always be accepted. ATMs in convenience stores are available 24 hours a day and should accept overseas credit cards. Amount of cash per withdrawal will be limited. Check our travel advice for information on using cash, credit and debit cards in Japan.


Homosexuality is not illegal in Japan; currently there are no provisions in Japanese law guaranteeing freedom from discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Find more information on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender foreign travel advice.

Insurance and medication


The standard of medical facilities in Japan is high but the cost is expensive. Make sure you have comprehensive travel health insurance that covers pre-existing conditions and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Find advice on getting the right travel insurance.

Prescription and over-the-counter medicines

The use or possession of some common prescription and over-the-counter medicines are banned under Japan’s strictly enforced anti-stimulant drugs law and ignorance may not be considered a defense. More information on banned medicines and where to get advice on our travel advice.



Typhoon season and earthquakes

Be prepared before your trip to Japan: read up on how to stay safe in the event of an earthquake or other natural disasters. Make sure you follow our travel advice for updates.

Emergency contacts

Most visits to Japan are trouble free but if you do need emergency assistance, call 110 for police and 119 for ambulance or fire services.



This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.